Saturday, September 20, 2008

Central Business District (CBD)

When I was a teenager, I'm fascinated with tall buildings - wondering how these buildings were built and why the architects designed the building in a specific manner. When my mum bought me my first camera (a Nikon FM2) in 1983, I often took a bus (no MRT then) to Shenton Way to photograph these skyscrapers.

I would alight at Clifford Pier bus stop and slowly explore the area to take photo. Back then, the CBD buildings were quite spaced out, unlike now which seems so cramped together. There were still bum boats operating on Singapore River and UOB and OUB were still separate entities. Lorries still parked along the river in front of Boat Quay godowns. Merlion was still in its original location and there were no Esplanade or the Esplanade Bridge.

There were row of pre-war shop houses where the new Parliament House is and Westin was still building in progress. Even One George Street building, where my current office is, was still a low rise South Bridge Center. The row of pre-war shop houses in along Upper Cross Street were still in its run down state and bus tickets were still manually punched by bus conductor.

Though I have taken so many pictures throughout the years along the Singapore River, when my friend asked me whether he could get some pictures of our CBD buildings last week, I could hardly find any decent digital shots to give him. I told him I need time to search through my piles of 400 plus Photo DVDs and quickly sneak out to take some images for him. Well, at least now I have some new digital images to add to the old images I had in prints.

Here are some photographs I took in my younger years till the recent CBD view I took last Saturday.

Clifford Pier

Bun Boats on Singapore River

Merlion in its original location. No Esplanade bridge in sight

Boat Quay Godowns

Pre-war shop houses where the New Parliamnet House now stand

Houses in its run-down states along Upper Cross Street

Westin was still building. The upper part of the building is still missing in this picture

One George Street buiding is still a low-rise South Bridge Center

Old bus-tickets





2 comments:

Anthony said...

chris,

It just like walking back the memmory lane.

Especially the bus ticket.

As I remember the bus inspector coming up the bus, asking everybody for the bus tickets for inspection.Then everyone will start to looking everywhere in their pockets for their bus tickets.

Time really flies and our homeland have change so much.

With the 2 IR coming out, there will be more night life. Peoples life style will changes also.(gamblers)

Chris Ting said...

Hi Anthony,

Yeah, every time I browse through my old albums, its like walking down memory lane!

Instead of seeing people searching for their bus tickets, I saw people dodging and others alighting immediately at the next bus-stop whenever an inspector boarded the bus.

Yup, as the saying goes "...the only thing that is constant is change itself..", hence we also have to adjust our lifestyle from time to time, otherwise we will remain stagnant :)