Monday, July 9, 2007

Yesterday's Glory

Tick-tock tick-tock.... the clock is ticking away and soon this clock and the great structure that house it will soon be demolished.

Eventually this place, where the "Kallang Wave" started, where many National Day Parades were held and many football matches played, will soon become history!
Its past glory will live on in some people's memory and these pictures will become a mementoes of what it used to be.

I spent many happy hours here with my school mates and my friends celebrating Youth Festivals during my secondary school days and watched many National Day Parades over the years.



The goal post is a place where Singapore's goalkeepers Edmund Wee and David Lee had
once stood, safe gaurding our goal post to prevent our challenger from scoring.
On the spectators stand, some people probably could still recall hearing the Singapore supporters cheering on their favourite players such as Quah Kim Song or Fandi Ahmad when we played against our neighbouring football teams.

Every time a goal is scored by a Singaporean player, the "Kallang Wave" would start and the "Kallang Roar" would filled the stadium!

On this grand stand is where many VIPs, Member of Parliament, Prime Minister, Senior Minister and Minister Mentor have seated during our National Day Parades.
One prominent figure, who was Singapore Prime Minister then, Officially Declared The National Stadium Open on 21st July 1973. He is none other than our current Minister Mentor Mr Lee Kuan Yew.
Mr Lee was here, seated in this Grand Stand, during last year (2006) National Day Parade. And how did I know? Well, I was sitting directly opposite the grand stand, among thousands of spectators, peeping at him through my 600mm telephoto lens!

This would be my view if I'm seated on the Grand Stand. Sadly, I'm only able to stand here, in the Grand Stand, to take pictures when there's no event on. Sigh!
Well, this view will soon be thing of the past in the very near future. I'm glad I made it down to document this wonder place with my camera and to share these pictures with all of you.

4 comments:

Edwin said...

Good pictures!!!
One typing error:
One prominent figure, who was Singapre Prime Minister then,
SINGAPORE miss "o"

Anonymous said...

awesome man.. just awesome.
good to see that you are going into writing, keep it up.
cheers from your good buddy from k.l.

rezal the ex-it dude.
good show bro.

Chris Ting said...

Hi Uncle,
Thank you for spotting my spelling mistake!! I have already rectified the spelling error.

Chris Ting said...

Hello bro, thanks for visiting my blog!Thanks for your comment too. Will catch with you again when I'm in KL. Cheers!