Sunday, July 22, 2007

My love for the Sea and Ocean

I love seeing the sea, sometimes it is calm and peaceful and sometimes it is wild and violence! Hence I enjoyed going to East Coast Park for cycling to enjoy the sea breeze and to enjoy the view of the sea.

When I was working in NOL during the 90's I get to visit ocean going vessels to service their computers. Most of the times I only get to ride in bum-boats that bring me to Eastern Anchorage or to Pulau Bukom to attend ship. Finally, on September 1995 I get to make a round trip traveling on Neptune Topaz, a big container ship, to Hong Kong Kowloon Harbour and Taiwan Kao Shiung. It was an experience of my life!

On our way to Hong Kong and Kao Shiung, the weather is fine and the South China Sea is calm most of the time. I get to lean over the hull of the ship to see dolphins racing through the water or watch flying fish gliding on the water surface. It is also a first time I get to see a spectacular sunset over the horizon of South China Sea!

Our journey back to Singapore is a totally different experience! Just as we left Hong Kong Kowloon harbour, the wind started picking up and the water gets choppy! Further out to sea, we were hit by Typhoon Teresa! Our big vessel was rolling side to side and dipping up and down on the roaring sea! Luckily, our experienced skipper, Captain Malcom James, managed to eventually steer our vessel clear of the storm and bring us safely back to Singapore. My ship mates told me, I should be glad that I get to experience the typhoon, otherwise I couldn’t say I have a complete sea faring experience!

Now that I have experience on the sea, I keep thinking how wonderful it will be if one day I could see an Ocean! Finally I get to see the Ocean on 29th November 2006 when I visited the 12 Apostles on Australia’s Great Ocean Road. The ocean view is very breathtaking, the water is very blue and there's white wave crashing the shoreline! The ocean water is icy cold and the wind is very strong on the ocean front and yet some Australians are brave enough to go surfing in the cold wind and icy water. I'm really impressed by their physical endurance!

As for me, I rather stay in my warm clothing, enjoy the cool ocean breeze, eating my turkey sandwich on the beach and watching seagull fly by.

Following is a series of ocean pictures taken on my Great Ocean Road trip.

























































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good shot !!

Anonymous said...

When u are in a right mood right coner right feel... more photos please... thxsss

Chris Ting said...

Thanks guys, for your kind comments! I will try my best to put some nice pictures.

Eileen said...

Wow! Nice shot. Keep it up!

Chris Ting said...

Thks Eileen!