Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Mystical Moon

When I was young I always wonder why there’s a big yellowish ball hanging in the night sky. Sometime it takes the shape of crescent and sometimes it is round and bright. As I grew up I learned that the big yellowish ball is known as the moon.

There are many tales about the moon that still puzzles me till today. In my younger days, the adults always tell me not to point my finger at the moon otherwise it would cut off my ears! Whenever the moon is covered up by passing black clouds, people would say “black dog had eaten the moon”. In the 80s, I watched movies about werewolves that went round hunting for its victims during full moon. Then there’s also a tale about a lady and a rabbit in the moon and she is known as Chang Er.

The truth I know that are related to the moon is Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon on July 1969. The famous word that Armstrong said from space was “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”. And there’s a song made popular by Teresa Teng “月亮带表我的心”.

These series of moon was taken on Vesak Day 31st May 2007. Someone told me the moon on this day is the biggest for the whole year. Again, I'm not sure if it is true. I observed that when the moon started rising over the horizon, it is slight colourless.
















And as it rises higher into the sky it turns yellowish.














After taking some plain shots of the moon, I thought I try something artistic by adding some leaves from the road side trees to create some foreground interest. Who knows, it turns out more eerie than artistic! This looks like a moon in some haunted movie!

No comments: