Saturday, September 22, 2007

My Beloved Grandmother

Today is September 22nd, it also mark my grandmother's death 8th Anniversary. Being the 2nd eldest grandson I spent a lot of time with my grandmother when I was young. My grandmother used to tell me stories of how her scholar parents were killed by the Japanese soldier in China and how she came over to Singapore on a crowded boat from Hainan island. She could recite poems and sing songs in Hainanese language. It was through her that I learn my Hainanese.

My grandmother is very skillful in sewing and stitching! She used to make blankets, pillow cases and do lots stitching for all her children and grand-children. She sewed her own clothes and made her own buttons to go with her clothing. She was still actively sewing and stitching till she was 84 years old. She always reminded us the importance of having a close family tie. Therefore when she was alive I always visit her every Sunday and to be with my cousins and aunties and uncles. Till now I still go to my uncle house in Toa Payoh every Sunday even though she is no longer around.

Sometimes I could still recall how she used to sit at her favourite spot with her grey hair back-lighted against the warm afternoon sun and her glasses hanging on her nose doing her sewing and stitching. Whenever I reached my uncle house I would call out “po po” and she would slowly lift up her head from her sewing and give me a big grin. She is always very delighted to see all of us.

As I grow older my grandmother grew older. Her grey hair gets whiter and her body got weaker and she looks so fragile in her final days due to lack of appetite. Eventually she passed away peacefully in bed one early morning on 22nd September 1999 at my uncle Bishan house.

Here are some pictures of some blankets, pillow cases, her clothing with her signature buttons and a Humphrey Dumpty my grandma made for me when I was young.

The blanket my grandma made:













































Pillow Cases:


























































My grandma's self-made blouse and with her signature buttons:












































My grandmother's stitching (it has turns yellow):






























The Humphrey Dumpty my grandmother made when I was young:





























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. avraamjack@netscape.net

Chris Ting said...

Hi there,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.
Rgds