Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shooting in RAW format

I have often heard people saying about how great one's picture will turn out when it is shot in the RAW format because it holds all the details and resolutions the camera system is capable of delivering.

Somehow I never get to try it out until recently when my colleague William Chan asked me to give it a try. William is kind enough to help me load the Canon software onto my computer and gave me some instructions on how to go about converting my RAW images.

My first trial was to test out my Canon 40D in RAW format at the zoo. Near the entrance of the zoo, there are some colourful parrots and it is a good subject for my first RAW trial. When I saw the images on my screen, boy...I was immediately blown away by the colour and details I saw on these parrots! The colour is so rich and I could see every strand of details on the bird's feathers! The only problem is the file size is almost amazingly huge!

Well, will I shoot in RAW format in future? The answer is a definite "YES" but only on selective subject. Otherwise my current 1.5 terabyte of storage space will run out in no time! The images uploaded here may not display all the colour and details because I have to down size these images before I upload it here.



No comments: