Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lunch Time Photography

One morning I was helping a colleague to setup the projector in a meeting and looking out the windows to enjoy the beautiful view from the Singapore River all the way to the eastern anchorage when some bum boats on the river caught my eyes. These were not the usual bum boats that ferry visitors along the river, they were decorated with landscapes and human figures and I decided to take a closer look during lunch. I took a quick 15 minutes lunch and headed towards to Singapore River with my Olympus 570UZ camera to take some pictures.

When I got to the river, I realized the bum boats were there to promote the Singapore Art Festival and the decorations depict Singapore early settlements lifestyle. There were Kampongs with human figures dressed up in Malay sarong, Chinese Wayang (Opera) with painted faces, and Koolies (labours) carrying gunny sacks of rice and pulling rickshaws. There were the Satay man and Samsui women (红头巾) too.

All these images brought back fond memories of my younger days. I used visit my grandparent’s Kampong house in Kim Hock Road area during my parent’s off days. My uncle use to drive me to the Chinatown area to run errands and I saw workers carrying sacks of rice and rubber from bum onto the warehouses along Clarke Quay and Boat Quay. My dad also loves to bring us to eat Satay at Elizabeth Walk Satay Club. The Satay seller would charge us based on the number of Satay sticks left on the table after the meal. Yes, many people, include your truly, would throw away a couple of sticks so the meal will cost a few cents less! The Singapore River has changed so much since the sixties and seventies. It is hard to imagine that Clarke Quay and Boat Quay were some rundown warehouses and all the bum boats that berthed along the stinking rivers. I’m gladded that I have experienced the life back then and to see how much our country has progressed through the years!

I must have look like a tourist, strolling along the Singapore River with a camera in hand in the hot midday sun. There were waiters and waitresses inviting me into the restaurants for lunch. I just smile and say “no, thank you” then quickly walk on by. I spend around 30 minutes to snap some pictures and went back to work as I only have an hour lunch break.









1 comment:

Life & Lyrics said...

HI,

I was looking for Kim Hock Road in Singapore, but could not find it on the map. So, I did a search and found your blog that mentioned that you used to visit your grand parent kampong house in Kim Hock Rd in the old days.

May I know where was this old " Kim Hock Rd" located?

Thanks in advance,
William Tan
my email is : williamtanhuileong@facebook.com