Saturday, August 23, 2008

Birds at Phor Kark See Temple

Last Sunday, I took my new Canon 17-40mm lens to Phor Kark See Temple to test it out but I ended taking more pictures of birds then the temple itself. When I was there trying out the new lens, I found 3 species of birds that I have not photograph before therefore I quickly switch over to my 100-400mm lens and started taking pictures of these birds.

The first pair of birds I saw was standing on a rock at the pond near the temple's entrance. They look like either Herons or Egrets, I could not identify them because I do not find any similar pictures of them during my on-line search. If you could identify them, please let me know which species they belong to.

Around the temple ground, I came across a pair of Scaly-breasted Munia. They were busy searching for food and they could not even bother about me. It gives me the opportunity to move quite close to photography them.

The third bird was a colourful Copper-smith Barbet up on a Bodhi Tree. I was reading the writings on the sign-board beneath the tree when I heard a bird chirping away loudly on the tree. Its action was very swift, it kept hoping from branches to branches and I have to keep adjusting my positions and angles to get a picture.

Finally, as though it feel pity for me, seeing my moving around and bending at weird angle trying to take its picture. It came to rest on a branch in full view and stood there pretty still for me to take pictures. As my shutter clicks away, it turns it head, right and left, high and low, as if to pose for me!
















2 comments:

Anthony said...

Chris,

Are you a bird watcher ?
I like the last shot,it was a colourful and sharp.

Your new cam cpst how much ?

Thanks for sharing.

Chris Ting said...

Hi Anthony,
I'm not a bird watcher. Just interested in taking bird pictures.

Recently I bought a Canon 40D, a 580EXII flash, a 50f1.8, a 17-40L, a 24-105L and a 100-400L lenses. Total around $7200. I only paid about half the price after trading in some of my old equipment.

Thanks again for visiting my blog!