Saturday, May 24, 2008

Muar, Malaysia

Recently, thanks to my uncle's suggestion and my cousin as a willing driver, I get to go on a day trip to Malaysia - Muar and Malacca! Even though, we set off at 6am, we were caught in heavy traffic for about an hour at the 2nd-link causeway because it was a long weekend. Once we passed the Singapore Custom, it was a breeze going through the Malaysia custom and thereafter it is blue skies and wide open highway all the way to Muar.

We drove slowly and making numerous stops at the R&Rs along the way for drinks, light snags and some photography. It was already 2pm when we arrived in Muar and the town looks pretty deserted even though it was a Saturday! There were shops selling toys that I used to play back in the early 70's and many push-carts and tricycles selling all sorts of cooked food and fruits. Stools and tables were setup along the five-foot way for patrons to enjoy their meals out of the scourging sun.

While we were walking along streets, I realised there were many pink coloured pre-war houses, even the mannequins were dressed in pink outfits and a Malay lady passer-by also wearing a pink tudung! There is a man in pink shirt that came by and told me the building I was photography is more than 80-years-old and sadly I forget to take a picture of him to add to my pink colour collection of my Muar pictures. The bus-stop is very interesting too because it resembles a trishaw and there are traffic lights with count-down display letting the driver know how long more to wait before the light turns green. Oh, how could I forget to mention - the wanton noodle, the otak and the satay are very delicious there too, yummy yummy!!

















Malacca will be featured in my next blog : )

4 comments:

Edwin said...

Chris
Looking at these photos make me feel like I am there again.

Chris Ting said...

Hehe, I don't mind going back there again for the noodle : )

Donut said...

Wow.. Chris. Never know pink is so happening over there! Is it the "official" colour of Muar? Of Malacca too? ;) Is that the silhouette of the uncle shooting at the arch? Nice! :)

Chris Ting said...

Hi Don, I love the bright PINK colour on the building too! It gives some vibrancy to an otherwise sleepy old town. I don't know whether PINK is Muar official colour. Some of the prominent buildings in Malacca are painted in Bright Red colours. Its quite fascinating for me to go from a PINKY Town to a RED Town!
Yes, that's my uncle in the arch. I was using the arch for my composition and he appears out of blue, and I thought he make an interesting silhouette so I took a second shot with him standing there : )