Sunday, March 9, 2008

Infra-red Photography

I read about infra-red photography way back in the early 1980s but I did not explore this form of photography until I bought my Nikon D100 a couple of years back. I took around 5 or 6 infra-red photos when I went cycling at East Coast Park a few years back and I loved the results. I have not taken any infra-red pictures since then because of the troublesome process.

To take infra-red pictures, beside your camera (must have manual white balance setting) and a lens you will need an infra-red filter (I use Hoya R72) and a sturdy tripod because the shutter-speed can go quite low even in bright daylight. Nature (the Sun) also plays an important role in infra-red photography because you will not get a good infra-red picture on a gloomy day.

Composition is also affected because the infra-red filter is so dark that you could hardly see what's in front of your lens even in bright daylight! Unless you are very hardworking and don't mind repeating the steps - removing the infra-red filter from your lens, compose your picture, put the filter back onto your lens, take a manual white balance reading under the lighting condition and finally taking the picture. It would be fine if you are only taking 1 or 2 pictures. Image you are taking around 30 or 40 pictures, that is a lot of repetitive steps!

Being a lazy me, I left the filter on all the time and roughly gauge my composition using the flash hot-shoe on my camera as a guide. I use a fixed Nikon AF 24mm lens for my infra-red pictures because I know the angle of view for this lens (I could roughly visualise the angle of coverage in my mind - easier to compose my picture) and it is much cheaper to buy a 52mm infra-red filter than a 72mm or 77mm filter!












































































































































8 comments:

Donut said...

Hi Chris. These infra-red pictures are great! It's unusual to see these familiar places in a different light.

Infra-red photography is something I've never tried. Going by your descriptions of the steps needed, it is really quite a bit of work, man!

Chris Ting said...

Hi Don, thanks for the comments! I like the unpredictable colour. It's really not that difficult, you should give it a try. If you have a 52mm lens, I can lend you my infra-red filter.

Donut said...

Thanks Chris. I particularly like the surreal effects on the trees and the clouds, like in the last second picture, with the boats in the foreground. Yes, I have a Sigma 52mm lens. Perhaps I can try it out in our next outing! :) Thanks.

Chris Ting said...

Sure Don. I will bring it along on our next outing.

Anthony said...

chris;

This pgotos are great...
have u ever think of show your photos in a exibition...

Chris Ting said...

Thank you Anthony for your kind comments! I have never think of having an exhibition. These are just snap shots and I do not think its worth exhibiting. Photography is a passion for me and I'm happy just to share my photos with all my friends : )

ian said...

Nice shots! I have never done that before... must do it one fine day ;)

Chris Ting said...

Hi Ian, thank you for your comments! Yes, bring out your camera and try it. Part of the fun in photography is through exploring different aspects of photography. With a digital camera, it is cheaper and easier to trial and error. Hope you enjoy your IR photography!