Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ant-ercise

This weekend I did not meet my uncle for our morning walk because he is oversea. Instead I went to Bishan Park with my Olympus 570UZ camera for my walk, hoping to take some photographs of birds. This Olympus 570UZ comes with a 20X optical zoom (26mm-520mm) and a Super Macro Mode which allows you to take micro/macro shots of up to 1cm. This sound like a dream camera for me because I love taking pictures of birds and micro photography so the Ultra Zoom and Super Macro all come in handy.

I took many pictures of birds and some close-up pictures of insects during my walk but I'm more fascinated by the micro video shot I took of an ant with this camera. I was sitting on a bench observing two yellow birds and some mynahs chasing each other up on a tree when I felt a painful sting on my leg. My natural instinct and auto-reflexes make me brush the red-ant off my leg instantly and it felt onto the bench I was sitting on. After the ant pick itself up, it paused for a while and stood still with it front legs swing about in mid air as if to protest against me for my action!

As for me, I thought it would be interesting to capture the ant in super macro mode so I quickly switch to Super Macro Mode and triggered off a few shots. Since the ant was still there after the few shots I quickly switched over to video mode to capture the following footage. Despite the painful bite I managed to capture some very interesting footage of this little ant and I feel getting bitten is all worthwhile!

5 comments:

Anthony said...

Chris;

This is really cute,I think it checking itself after a battle...hahaha thanks for sharing.

This video is really clear and sharp.

Chris Ting said...

Hmm, Anthony, you have an interesting deduction! When the ant bite me, it was alone. If it really involved in a battle then maybe it is the sole survival....hehehe : )

Edwin said...

This is the best one, the ant looks strong and arrogant.:-)

Chris Ting said...

Yar boy, it is a strong strong ant!

ian said...

Ant-traching.... ;)