Sunday, May 3, 2009

A visit to the Istana

I have been living in Singapore all my life and have visited most of the attractions around Singapore but there is one place on Orchard Road that I wished to visit but never find the time to do so.

Last Friday was Labour Day and I decided that I will pay a visit to the Istana. I reached the Istana gate around 3pm and there was a huge crowd queuing in front of the gate. The sun was shining brightly and it was a very hot day. All visitors were to have their temperature taken before admission. I was afraid that the heat might cause my temperature to rise but thankfully I'm ok and was given the green light to proceed.

Once entered the gate, there were trees on both sides of the main road leading shortly to a wide open field. It looks like a big golf course with two man-made ponds to my left. To the right are big trees probably to block off the view from the Singapore Plaza shopping centre next door.

Further in, stood a beautiful colonial building on my right and there is a big bungalow to the left a distance away, on a small hill top after a big field. Assumingly, that would be the President residential area because there was police man standing guard along the road leading to the bungalow and it is out of bound for open-house visitors.

Finally, after some distances, I came upon a big canon and the terrace steps of the State building. The terrace is wide and long and there's a fountain in the middle of the terrace. The main building is huge and it is surrounded by lush greenery. There is a $2 dollar entrance fee to the building but it is very worthwhile. Inside, visitors get to see the state dinning room, the conference room and a room full of gifts from countries all over the hall. There were also many paintings hanging on the wall along the hall way. It is really an eyes opening experience for a first time visitor like me!

Besides, enjoying myself at the Istana, I did not forget to do my bit of charity too. I bought an Istana pin from the gifts counter and the money will be donated to the Singapore Community Chest to help the poor.


















No comments: