Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Childhood Dream Come True

When I was young, I'm always fascinated about steam locomotives. I have watched lots of movies and documentaries that featured steam locomotives and I have played with model steam locomotives but I have never ride on one. I have been to many places and I have rode on many type of trains but never on a steam locomotive.

On my recent trip to Australia to visit my cousin, I told my cousin that I must take a ride on Puffing Billy to experience what it is like to ride on a steam locomotive and to satisfy my childhood desire. Puffing Billy is a tourist attraction in Melbourne. The rail road is 15 miles or 24km long and there are many stops along the way. The steam locomotive that we boarded was built in America in 1905 and shipped to Australia. We planned to alight at Emerald Lake for a walk; it is about half-way along the rail route, and then takes another train back at a later time.

It was pouring heavily on the morning of our train ride but it did not dampen my spirit to realise my childhood dream! Luckily when we reach Emerald Lake, the sun has re-appeared an
d driven away the dark clouds. We have a relaxing walk around the lake and treat ourselves to a good afternoon tea before boarding the home ward bounce train. I'm glad that after yearning for so many years, I finally get to ride on a steam locomotive!


















2 comments:

Anthony said...

Chris;

It look danger as the train pass the old wooden bridge...

Chris Ting said...

Hmm, now that you mentioned, the wooden bridge does looks quite dangerous!