Sunday, October 28, 2007

Charity Work

In my forty years of living I have considered myself extremely lucky and blessed. I never have to worry about money or meals. My parents are there for me when I was growing up and now that I have grown up I vowed to take care of my family and be there for my family whenever they needed me.

There are some people who are not so lucky. Some kids come from broken homes and some old folks are left to fend for themselves even though they have well-to-do children. In 2005, one of my colleagues organised a charity event for us to visit a children home. Most of these kids come from broken family and at such tender age they have to face such hardship in their live. Though it is only a half day event, we are glad that we managed to bring a moment of joy and some happiness into their live by organising games for them and bringing them some goodies which our company kindly sponsored.

Last Tuesday, a colleague of my again organised another charity work for us. This time we went to a resident community centre at Buona Vista to organise some games and buffet session for some elderly folks in the area. Our company again very generously gives us a sum of money for the event. We bought lots of daily food stuff from NTUC for these old folks to bring home after some games and buffet session.

We set up four gaming station at this event and grouped these elderly participants into a few teams for the games. Though most of them are meeting for the first time, they are very cooperative, cheerful and their team spirit is very high. The winning team also gets to win some prizes. The grand finale is the bingo game whereby the participants enjoyed the most. There is lots of laughter and excitement during they games. Many of them also get to win a hand-held massager once they Bingo.

As the saying goes "every feast has its end", it is a very sad farewell for all of us and the participants at the end of the day. Some of these folks are so touched for our effort in organising an eventful afternoon for them, they held on to our hands tightly and told us that they are very grateful that we spend time with them and if fate had it they would really love to see us again! We went for a charity event but leave with a heavy heart.

In the course of living our happy live, I really hope that more people could spare some thought or our time to reach out to the needy people around our community.





















































No comments: