Saturday, May 1, 2010

Drifting with Olympus EP-2

Last weekend, I was down at the Singapore F1 Pit to take photos of the Drifting competition. A huge crowd had already gathered at the arena when I reached. As I'm lazy to carry my DSLR and long lens, I have to slowly inch my way through the crowd to get a better view.

There were many photographers with state of the art cameras and super telephoto lenses and they were rather annoyed with me as I inched my way to the front. I'm much bigger and taller than most of them and though they were standing on top of a two steps ladder, I probably still managed to block some of their view. When I turn around, I could see many angry faces staring back at me. I guess they were even more disgusted when I open my bag and took out a compact Olympus EP-2 camera. Luckily no one hit me with their super telephoto lenses!

Well, I couldn't help it, I'm also there to take photos and I would like to have a good view too. Those people on the two steps ladder were also blocking the rest of the people behind them. The only thing I could do is to duck down after taking a shot and let those behind me take their photos.

The Olympus EP-2 is very compact and light-weight camera. It is very good for sceneries, portraits and travel photography but it is too slow sport photography. I ended up having to pan in order to get reasonably sharp photos of the cars. Well, I guess there is no "perfect tool", as long as we understand the limitation and learn to overcome it, then it is still a great tool to use! Following photos were taken on my Olympus EP-2 camera with either a Panasonic 45-200mm lens or a Panasonic 7-14mm lens.























No comments: